The Controller is responsible for identifying and delivering a broad range of accounting/financial services to the organizations under common ownership. The Controller will have primary responsibility of ensuring financial reporting accuracy and timely reporting, analysis of business operations, management of expenses using best practices of cost and budget accounting, and developing standard accounting operating procedures and internal controls. The Controller will also work with Staff accountants to maintain data and produce financial reports through QuickBooks and oversee the processing of payroll. The Controller will foster a workplace environment consistent with the values and mission of Alliance Abroad.
Essential Duties and responsibilities include the following:
Supervise employees performing financial reporting, accounting, billing, collections, payroll, and budgeting duties.
- Prepare and review monthly financial reporting and conduct monthly reviews with department heads. Prepare and oversee monthly account reconciliations, journal entries and bank account reconciliations.
- Oversee and manage the ROI for Key Account managed housing and transportation.
- Closely monitor and manage the cash flow from a short term and long term perspective.
- Oversee the following; Annual Financial Audit, Company Insurance Policies, Tax Requirements, Participant Insurance.
- Ensure timely closing of books; monthly, quarterly, and monthly.
- Manage the chart of account in a manner that meets the needs of the business; financial, tax and management reporting.
- Prepare annual financial information so that outside accountants can complete tax returns.
- Prepare quarterly financial reports to send to third parties.
- Develop and maintain relationships with auditors, banking, insurance, and non-organizational accounting personnel in order to facilitate financial activities.
- Monitors department budget and manages and/or approves employee expenses accordingly.
- Performs other related duties or completes special projects as assigned.
- Anticipate areas of need based on overall observations and interactions with fellow employees, participants, partners and host companies and respond accordingly.
- Critically think by using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Supervises the accounting team of 2 to 3 employees.
- Motivate and supervise a high performance team; with support of Human Resources attract, recruit, train and retain the required employees of the department.
- Encourage a success-oriented, accountable environment within the company.
Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Work requires professional verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Three to seven years of professional experience in preparing finance statements, bank reconciliations, AP, AR, G/L, Financial audit, and Tax returns.
- Strong system skills including QuickBooks Functions and MS Excel
- Solid knowledge and understanding of GAAP and FASB
- Detail oriented; Strong Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written/oral communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Possesses superior customer service experience.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment where priorities change regularly.
- Ability to manage, plan and coordinate many projects simultaneously.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- CPA or CMA certification preferred.
- Minimum of three to five years of managerial experience.