Foreign students and local communities are coming together August 7th to celebrate the power of cultural exchange. International exchange participants who come the United States to work and travel under temporary student visas will join together for a fun-filled day in communities across the country.
“J-Day” is the official name of the nationwide celebrations held each year in August. The event motto, “eat, play, give,” sums up the day of fun activities planned by visitor exchange sponsors, fabulous food provided by host employers, and contributions to local communities by program participants.
In Sandusky Ohio, students will clean community parks and participate in team relays in “Olympic-style” games; in Galveston, Texas, students will bring canned goods for the needy and enjoy an afternoon of water activities at Schlitterbahn Waterpark; in Wisconsin Dells, WI participants will donate school supplies and gather at Captain Bob’s Park; and in Outer Banks, NC, a garden will be planted at the Community Care Clinic in Nags Head. While events, menus, charitable contributions and community service vary across the nation, the purpose of gaining recognition for the power of exchange programs is the common intent.
J-Day celebrations will draw record number of participants this year. Thousands of students, employers, sponsors, local residents, community representatives and officials are expected to participate.
The events are open to one and all and, “the more the merrier,” is the theme for J- Day. Everyone is invited and encouraged to experience the richness of the cultural diversity. At past events, community residents have participated as “citizen ambassadors,” demonstrating the welcoming American spirit of our communities and country and achieving an important goal of leaving a positive impression on visiting youths.
We invite you to join us for a day to eat, play and give!
For details of J-Day events locations and activities, visit the Alliance for International Exchange J-Day website.
Students may sign up to participate in Alliance Abroad sponsored locations in Galveston, Texas, Sandusky, Ohio, Wisconsin Dells, WI, and Outer Bank, NC, here.
For a full list of J-Day events and locations click here.
- Sponsor Organizations: Alliance Abroad, CHI, CIEE
- Location: Schlitterbahn Waterpark,
- Meeting spot: 2026 Lockheed Street Galveston, TX 77554
- Date & Time: Aug 7 at 3 PM
- Contact person: Marianna Lemire email@example.com
- Organizations: Alliance Abroad, Intrax
- Location: Sandusky, OH (meeting point: Kiwanis Baseball Park, 2244 1st Street, Sandusky, Ohio.
- Date & Time: Monday, August 7 at 10AM
- Contact person: Crystal Bunts, firstname.lastname@example.org
Nags Head, NC
- Sponsor Organizations: Alliance Abroad, CIEE, Intrax
- Location: Community Care Clinic, 415 Health Center Drive
- Date & Time: Aug 7 at 1-4 PM
Wisconsin Dells, WI
- Sponsor Organizations: Alliance Abroad, Intrax, InterExchange
- Location: Captain Bob’s Park
- Date & Time: Aug 7 at 10 AM